Steamed Silver Pomfret

Silver pomfrets (金鲳鱼) are fishes that are mostly farm bred. And the freshest are found in the wet market. They cost around $5 each. I will usually get the fish seller to remove the innards for me. The best deal was when I bought 3 for $10!

My children love them so much because the flesh is sweet and I love to eat with the fragrant white rice!

I have steamed lots of fish before and I used to just place fresh ginger, garlic and sprinkle some spring onions and light soy sauce on the uncooked fish. The taste didn't come out so well. Hence I decided to fry the ingredients before steaming the fish. And it turned out to be fantastic!



Occasions
Lunch
Dinner
Confinement Food


Ingredients (Serves 2-3)
1 silver pomfret
Some chopped garlic, onions and ginger
Some salt
1 tsp of light soy sauce
1 tsp of sesame oil
2 tsp of cooking oil
Chilli padi (Optional)

Steps
1. Place some cooking oil into heated pan.
2. Add garlic, onions, ginger, light soy sauce and salt together. Fry till fragrant but not burnt.
3. Add sesame oil.
4. Place the sauce onto the silver pomfret.
5. Steam it for 8 minutes.

I will usually fry together with the chilli padi and it will bring about both spiciness as well as sweetness to the fish.



How to test that your fish is cooked?
You just use a fork and insert into the flesh of the skin. If there is no blood along the fish bone area, it's well done. Otherwise, steam for another 2-3 minutes. Do remember not to over steam your fish because it may be too dry and not tasty.