Water Chestnut with Sugar Cane

Nowadays, weather has been quite drastic. Very sunny in the day, and soon the rain comes with constant shower.

Hence we have made a cooling drink for ourselves.

Water Chestnut with Sugar Cane

Ingredients
---------------
10 water chestnuts
10 sugar canes
Water

Steps
---------
1. Rinse the sugar cane. Make sure the outer layer does not have any dust. Chop it into half.
2. Rinse the water chestnuts. Make sure they are cleaned and the skin removed.
3. Put 1.5 liters of water and boil together with the sugar cane and water chestnuts. Boil for 1.5hours.
4. Serve.



Sugar cane and how I use the knife to chop it into half.


Water chestnuts and the bare naked water chestnuts. Quite messy but it's worth it.

I usually will buy water chestnuts from the wet market, whereby they are covered with soil. I do not buy those from supermarkets which are already washed and cleaned dry. I have no idea how they process the cleaning, but I will not get them. When choosing, I will gently press them, make sure that they are hard enough. (No dirty thoughts here!) And pick around 15-20 of them. And it cost me only $2.50! How nice. The best of all, all my family members love to eat them. And I am usually the one who will do the dirty work of cutting the water chestnuts.






Do take note that during the Chinese New Year, please refrain from drinking those flavoured drinks such as water chestnut flavoured drink, sugar cane flavoured drink etc. They actually have minimal content of the actual ingredients. Why not channel the money to getting real fruits instead? And those colourings E237, E456 etc, are all permitted colourings which are not good for our bodies. Why want to take the risk?